David Risstrom has been re-elected as one of three Asia-Pacific representatives on the Executive Committee of the International Council for Local Environment Initiatives.
Thank you to everyone who took part in this election. It is an indication of the strength of ICLEI that the number of candidates for election has increased at each election. Unfortunately, a number of high quality candidates were unsuccessful in their election, and I sincerely hope that they are able to contribute as much as possible to ICLEI in the future.
I have nominated for re-election to the Executive Committee of the International Council for Local Environment Initiatives (ICLEI). I am currently serving as an Executive Committee and Management Committee Member of ICLEI following my election to ICLEI International in 2000.
Election is by international postal ballot of the more than 600 ICLEI member cities and local government associations world-wide. Please remember, your ballot must be returned to ICLEI by 31 July 2001.
I have reproduced my nomination below for those members forming a view on how to vote and for others interested in the work of ICLEI. My nomination documents are also available as downloadable word documents: Cr. David Risstrom's 2003 ICLEI Executive Committee Nomination and David Risstrom's resume accompanying the nomination: David Risstrom's 2003 Resume. If you wish to ask me any questions or raise any issues, please e-mail me at: email@example.com
DAVID RISSTROM'S DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY FOR 2003 ICLEI EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ELECTION
SECTION II. DECLARATION OF CANDIDACY
II. 1 Personal Data
Name: Cr. David Risstrom
Work Position: Councillor
Work Address Melbourne Town Hall, Swanston Walk, Melbourne Victoria Australia 3001
Work Phone: +613 9658 9898 Work Fax: +613 9654 2594
Work e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Address: 22 Ross Street Northcote Victoria Australia 3070
Present Elected or Staff Position with a Local Government or Association of Local Government:
· Councillor, City of Melbourne
· ICLEI Executive Committee
· ICLEI Management Committee
· Chairperson: Melbourne Affordable Housing Company
· Chairperson: Aboriginal Consultative Group
· Chairperson: Metropolitan Environment Forum
· Deputy Chairperson: Melbourne City Council Environment, Community and Cultural Development Committee
· Deputy Chairperson: Melbourne City Council Lord Mayors Drug and Safety Committee.
· Committee Member: Melbourne City Council Finance, Corporate Services and Governance Committee.
· Committee Member: Melbourne City Council Planning, Development and Services Committee.
· Committee Member: Melbourne City Council Business and Marketing Committee
· Victorian Local Governance Association delegate.
· Director: Western Regional Waste Group
· Director: MAPS Municipal Purchasing Group
Past Elected or Staff Position with a Local Government or Association of Local Governments:
· Chair: Environment, Community and Cultural Development Committee [3/99 7/01]
· Chair: Metropolitan Transport Forum [3/99 12/00]
· Committee Member: Central Activities District Melbourne Police and Community Consultative Committee [3/99 7/01].
II. 2 Candidacy Statement: In 300 words or less, please provide a statement explaining why you wish to serve on the ICLEI Executive Committee and what leadership, resources, and/or skills you would hope to contribute to the organisation during your term in office. This statement will be used in the official ballot materials. Please type below.
Serving on ICLEIs Executive and Management Committee from 2000 to present has been a valuable opportunity to consolidate my pursuit of environmental and governance issues and to further stimulate ICLEI activity in the region.
During my term, Melbourne has become the Australia/New Zealand ICLEI headquarters. The skills Melbourne City Council and I bring to ICLEI are demonstrated in our achievements so far. As Chair of the Melbourne City Council's Environment, Community and Cultural Development Committee, and as an ICLEI Executive and Management Committee, I have worked hard to put environment high on the agenda. During that time, Council has adopted proposals I have sponsored that include:
· A $5 million Environment Initiatives Trust Fund (similar to the Toronto Atmospheric Fund).
· A strong involvement at the World Summit on Sustainable Development.
· Triple bottom line accounting and reporting as Council's standard.
· Australia-wide ICLEI Green Purchasing Program Pilot.
· ICLEI Water Campaign Pilot.
· Amending the Local Government Act to include 'environmental sustainability' in the purposes of Council activity.
· Peoples Forums held in the Council Chamber discussing environmental and other issues, where constituents occupy the seats normally used by Councillors.
· Establishing the Melbourne-wide Metropolitan Environment Forum, with local government, environment and community membership.
Melbourne has committed significant resources to sustain the Australia/New Zealand ICLEI headquarters. In addition to progress with Cities for Climate Protection, Council is seeking 30% reductions on 1996 greenhouse gas levels by 2010 for Council and 20% for the Community, and initiated the APEC Sustainable Cities 2020 Zero Net Greenhouse Gas Emissions Strategy. Having Melbourne as ICLEI Regional Headquarters ensures a local government focus on the environment will be both well supported and resourced. My aim is those activities further catalyse an already impressively rate of progress in local environment initiatives within the region.
II. 3 Description of Background
In 200 words or less, please provide a description of your professional background and its relevance to the work of ICLEI. This statement will be used in the official ballot materials. Please type below.
My professional life has been geared towards environmental issues. I have served on ICLEIs Executive Committee and Management Committees from 2000 to present. I am Deputy Chair of Melbourne City Councils Environment, Community and Cultural Development Committee, Aboriginal Consultative Committee and Metropolitan Environment Forum.
I have degrees in Science, Arts and Law. I practice as a barrister in a variety of areas. My Bachelor of Science (honours first class) examined human adaptation to stratospheric ozone depletion and global climate change. I studied environmental and international law as part of my Law degree, while working for the Australian Centre for Environmental Law in Canberra and as a consultant to the Commonwealth Environment Protection Authority, and as Senior Researcher in the Australian Parliament on superannuation and gender equity. My Bachelor of Arts (social theory and politics), precedes a 3-year Doctoral scholarship currently underway examining 'Local Government and Environment'.
I was responsible for the successful lobbying to create Victoria's largest national park, the Alpine National Park and argued successfully for acceptance of wilderness as a legitimate land use. I am an active member of the Australian Greens Party. My aim is to use these skills both locally and internationally through ICLEI.
D. VERIFICATION OF REPRESENTATIVE STATUS WITH AN ICLEI MEMBER
This is to verify that the person submitting these Nomination Papers, David Risstrom is designated as a representative of Melbourne City Council to serve on the ICLEI Executive Committee.
[A letter has been faxed from Michael Malouf, Chief Executive Officer, City of Melbourne.]
E. ENDORSEMENT OF NOMINATION BY THREE ICLEI MEMBERS
1. I endorse the nomination of Cr. David Risstrom for the 2000-2002 ICLEI Executive Committee election.
[A letter is to be faxed from the City of Melbourne.]
2. I endorse the nomination of Cr. David Risstrom for the 2000-2002 ICLEI Executive Committee election.
[A letter is to be faxed from the City of Moreland, Australia.]
3. I endorse the nomination of Cr. David Risstrom for the 2000-2002 ICLEI Executive Committee election.
[A further endorsement letter will be forwarded.]
4. I endorse the nomination of Cr. David Risstrom for the 2000-2002 ICLEI Executive Committee election. [A further endorsement letter will be forwarded.]
My resume is available as a word download: David Risstrom's 2003 Resume.
F. SIGNATURE OF APPLICANT
Cr. David Risstrom 21 March 2003.